FUMC Young Adult Connector
Get PLUGGED IN with news about ministries, missions & more.
PUB THEOLOGY, Tuesday, Sept 6, 7:30-8:30pm, Northville Town Square (on Main St, by the clock)*
We meet on the first Tuesday of the month! – People have been gathering in pubs and public spaces for ages, talking about life, philosophy, faith, and deep questions of meaning. The format is simple: beverages, conversation, and God. You’ll be able to share your own wrestlings and thoughts while learning something new along the way! BYO: Refreshments (refreshments can be purchased/carried from local restaurants) Questions or to sign up for *location weather updates; firstname.lastname@example.org or 248-982-0513
BigTent Sunday – Sept 11, Our annual fall Kick-off event: Outdoor worship at 10am, food and festivities to follow! Big fun, hope to see you there!
Saturday in the D , Sept 17, Volunteer with our church to be in service in Detroit with partner organizations (Cass Social Svc, Brightmore, Motown, Noah, Rippling Hope, etc)! Typical events run from 9am to 2pm.You can even sign up for just a couple hours… Email:email@example.com or text/call: 734-718-2183 for info or to sign up for any of these expected 2022 dates: Remaining partner days: 9/17, 10/15
YOUNG ADULT 3rd TUESDAYS, Tuesday evening events will be hosted IN PERSON! We meet at rotating locations. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org to sign up for rotating location information or other details (Sept location posted below).
- Sept 20*, 7-8:30pm, Maybury State Park– we meet at the parking lot by the oak shelter off of 8 MIle. BYO refreshments and we will walk or bike on trails. Check with Tracy for weather updates. This is a relaxed gathering, all are welcome age 18+.
*Hot Topics Sept 20, This summer we look at difficult topics, like current issues surrounding Roe v. Wade(5/17) or Gun control (6/7), learn about the UMC Book of Social Principles, and share dialogue …so that we learn from one another’s faith perspectives, understand our emotions, and find our positive voice in this world. This month – “Quiet quitting” If you have questions or for more info, email@example.com
College Connect is Coming! If you are a current college student, be sure to update Tracy with your current contact information and address, so that the congregation can include you in the fall and spring outreach programs to our beloved students! firstname.lastname@example.org Thank you!
—MORE Events/Opportunities —-
PUB THEOLOGY, Tuesday, Oct 4, 7:30-8:30pm, Northville Town Square (on Main St, by the clock)*
Crop Walk, Oct 2 – Help take a bite out of hunger by participating in this fun walk and fund raiser. For more details or if you would like to sign up contact Tracy, email@example.com.
YOUNG ADULT 3rd TUESDAYS, Oct 18, 7:00pm Contact firstname.lastname@example.org to sign up for rotating location information or other details!
PUB THEOLOGY, Tuesday, Nov 1, 7:30-8:30pm, Northville Town Square (on Main St, by the clock)*
YOUNG ADULT 3rd TUESDAYS, Nov 15, 7:00pm Contact email@example.com to sign up for rotating location information or other details!
College Connect at Church – Nov 27, Join us Thanksgiving weekend for reserved young adult seating at service and see Tracy for a special treat!
JOB opportunities – If you are looking for employment this summer and beyond, there are opportunities with our day care center and with our Mom’s Morning Out program! Contact Tracy for more information.
Environment/Ecology outreach survey for YOU, from our new FUMC Advocate, Hannah Craik! This is a chance to use your positive voice in the life of the church!
Mission Quest 2022 thanks our Young Adult support –
June 21 Thanks to all that participated! We cleaned 133.3 lbs of trash out of the Huron River! What a great way to spread HOPE!
July 15-17 Thanks to all that participated at Howell Nature Center (Friday, Saturday, Sunday) We helped improve a beaver habitat and two frog/tadpole ponds, learned about cultures around the world, and shared some incredible time together!
August 3-6 Mission Quest trip to Lake Michigan, Pentwater MI What a great trip, thanks to all that helped us serve at Mears state park as well as our life giving water ditch and fire wood projects at the UMC camp in Pentwater!
For future opportunities to serve: Contact Tracy to express interest in being a leader, mentor or participant in our 2023 MissionQuest programs; firstname.lastname@example.org
UMC Internship/Mission Opportunities
1. Global Mission Fellows are young adults, ages 20–30, who are committed to work in social justice ministries for two years. They serve outside of their home communities, either in the United States or overseas. This graduate-level fellowship allows… for more info, visit Global MIssion Fellows
2. MI1 Fellow Program (similar to GMF-US2 but 1year) A one year experience for young adults between 18 and 28 years old designed to be mutually transformative for the young people involved, the communities in which they’ll live, and the organizations they’ll serve with. Learn more and apply here: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1sbMIbRjtwvyhCciXD2giRIOmeZY-DdfdCKoWmc9HWxc/viewform?edit_requested=true
3. Summer Intern Programs: Multiple opportunities in Missions, Camps, Ministry and schools! To learn more, visit https://michiganumc.org/young-adult/young-adult-summer-programs-2022/
4. Young Adult Initiatives, Michigan Conference: Have a “seed” of an idea for missional ministry for your community? Seed to Harvest is a program of the Michigan Conference of the UMC that supports young adult leaders in bringing their ministry ideas to fruition. The program offers support in the form of monthly one-on-one coaching and group support with… VISIT WEB INFO
Other Ongoing ministry events
YOUNG ADULT FAITH JOURNEY (age 18+)
Sometimes, stepping out and trying something new can really allow us to grow…spiritually or in relationship with others, it is all good! Join us on any of the multiple opportunities throughout the year, you are sure to find one that works for you. Friends age 18 and over are invited too! -To sign up for future events, contact Tracy Ortlieb: email@example.com.
MUSIC MINISTRY OPPORTUNITIES
While we can’t meet in person to sing, there are lots of opportunities to help with the music ministry of our church! Please contact Annie at firstname.lastname@example.org to get all the details and join in the virtual fun!
Young Adult Small Study Group
Small can be good! If you are interested in spiritual growth via a committed small* study group, this is for you! Contact email@example.com to express interest. We will select dates and times depending on our signups and specific study interests (Bible/Social Justice/Personal growth/etc).
*What will be small about it? – commitments to prepare will be minimal (possible short readings) – group size – duration of study to be limited
Contact Tracy for upcoming study details and sign-ups, firstname.lastname@example.org.
Career Network Ministries Young adults interested can sign up for career assistance – you never know the network your church family might be a able to offer! Sign up by contacting Tracy Ortlieb at email@example.com
Looking for MORE?
Click on your school below, or Google “Wesley Foundation (+name of your school)”! This might be the place to make some new connections…or to have some fun…or to find some good food🙂
If you can’t find your local chapter on-line, just respond to this email and Tracy will help you out.