FUMC Young Adult Connector
Get PLUGGED IN with news about ministries, missions & more.
Community Gathering to Grieve, May 26, 7-7:30pm: https://www.fumcnorthville.org/wp-content/uploads/2022/05/prayerVigil5.26.22.pdf
Mission Quest 2022 Signups have begun! – See community & environmental outreach event and trip dates below!
New COLLEGE GRADS, If you graduate sometime in the 2021-2022 year, PLEASE help FUMC Northville prepare for Graduation Sunday, June 5th*! Submit student’s full name, college or university and major/degree earned (or type of technical training completed) along with a digital photo by May 27th to firstname.lastname@example.org . Thank you! *Join us for Graduation Sunday worship service-June 5, at 10am – in person or virtually!
Environment/Ecology outreach survey for YOU, from our new FUMC Advocate, Hannah Craik! This is a chance to use your positive voice in the life of the church!
PUB THEOLOGY, Tuesday, June 7, 7:30-8:30pm, Northville Town Square (on Main St, by the clock)*
We meet on the first Tuesday of the month! – People have been gathering in pubs and public spaces for ages, talking about life, philosophy, faith, and deep questions of meaning. The format is simple: beverages, conversation, and God. You’ll be able to share your own wrestlings and thoughts while learning something new along the way! BYO: Refreshments (refreshments can be purchased/carried from local restaurants) Questions or to sign up for *location weather updates; email@example.com or 248-982-0513
YOUNG ADULT 3rd TUESDAYS, Tuesday evening events will be hosted IN PERSON! We meet at rotating locations. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org to sign up for rotating location information or other details (June 21 location posted below).
- June 21 Paddle with us to do good at the Huron River Clean up canoe event in Ann Arbor, tentative 4pm start time from Argo livery, ends at Gallop and they transport us back to parking. FREE to participate, we will take donations for local flood recovery efforts. Please signup by June 12 by emailing email@example.com.
Hot Topics June date/time TBD, This summer we look at difficult topics, like current issues surrounding Roe v. Wade(5/17) or Gun control (6/?), learn about the UMC Book of Social Principles, and share dialogue …so that we learn from one another’s faith perspectives, understand our emotions, and find our positive voice in this world. If you have questions, firstname.lastname@example.org
JOB opportunities – If you are looking for employment this summer and beyond, there are opportunities with our day care center and with our Mom’s Morning Out program! Contact Tracy for more information.
Mission Quest 2022 NEEDs Young Adult support – Contact Tracy to express interest in being a leader, mentor or participant in our 2022 MissionQuest programs; email@example.com Our plans include:
June 21 Paddle with us to do good at the Huron River Clean up canoe event in Ann Arbor, tentative 4pm start time from Argo livery, ends at Gallop and they transport us back to parking. FREE to participate, we will take donations for local flood recovery efforts. Please signup by June 12.
July 15-17 Mission Quest trip to Howell Nature Center (Friday, Saturday, Sunday) Please sign up by June 26.
August 3-6 Mission Quest trip to Lake Michigan, Pentwater MI (Wednesday-Saturday, and lodging extensions reserved early can likely be extended for a longer stay) Please sign up by June 26.
Aug 8-12 –Vacation Bible School volunteers needed – Food Truck Party! Sign-up here!
Saturday in the D Volunteer with our church to be in service in Detroit with partner organizations (Cass Social Svc, Brightmore, Motown, Noah, Rippling Hope, etc)! Typical events run from 9am to 2pm.You can even sign up for just a couple hours… Email:firstname.lastname@example.org or text/call: 734-718-2183 for info or to sign up for any of these expected 2022 dates: Joy-Southfield is May 14th /other partners: 6/18, 7/16, 8/20, 9/17, 10/15
UMC Internship/Mission Opportunities
1. Global Mission Fellows are young adults, ages 20–30, who are committed to work in social justice ministries for two years. They serve outside of their home communities, either in the United States or overseas. This graduate-level fellowship allows… for more info, visit Global MIssion Fellows
2. MI1 Fellow Program (similar to GMF-US2 but 1year) A one year experience for young adults between 18 and 28 years old designed to be mutually transformative for the young people involved, the communities in which they’ll live, and the organizations they’ll serve with. Learn more and apply here: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1sbMIbRjtwvyhCciXD2giRIOmeZY-DdfdCKoWmc9HWxc/viewform?edit_requested=true
3. Summer Intern Programs: Multiple opportunities in Missions, Camps, Ministry and schools! To learn more, visit https://michiganumc.org/young-adult/young-adult-summer-programs-2022/
4. Young Adult Initiatives, Michigan Conference: Have a “seed” of an idea for missional ministry for your community? Seed to Harvest is a program of the Michigan Conference of the UMC that supports young adult leaders in bringing their ministry ideas to fruition. The program offers support in the form of monthly one-on-one coaching and group support with… VISIT WEB INFO
Other Ongoing ministry events
YOUNG ADULT FAITH JOURNEY (age 18+)
Sometimes, stepping out and trying something new can really allow us to grow…spiritually or in relationship with others, it is all good! Join us on any of the multiple opportunities throughout the year, you are sure to find one that works for you. Friends age 18 and over are invited too! -To sign up for future events, contact Tracy Ortlieb: email@example.com.
MUSIC MINISTRY OPPORTUNITIES
While we can’t meet in person to sing, there are lots of opportunities to help with the music ministry of our church! Please contact Annie at firstname.lastname@example.org to get all the details and join in the virtual fun!
YOUNG ADULT 3rd TUESDAYS IN TOWN (age 18+) We extended outside of summer months for the 2020 Pandemic
Third Tuesdays we will meet at a fun gathering location offering an opportunity to enjoy refreshments and discuss theology! What a great way to spend an evening! Likely in March, we will again meet at Northville Town Square outside seating or at another local pub – check back for details! Contact email@example.com for more information.
Young Adult Small Study Group
Small can be good! If you are interested in spiritual growth via a committed small* study group, this is for you! Contact firstname.lastname@example.org to express interest. We will select dates and times depending on our signups and specific study interests (Bible/Social Justice/Personal growth/etc).
*What will be small about it? – commitments to prepare will be minimal (possible short readings) – group size – duration of study to be limited
Fall Study: Finding our Faith takes a look at seeking God in art and the everyday secular world, creating practices that make us more likely to stay connected with God. We will explore music, paintings, books, movies and more! Contact Tracy for times/locations email@example.com.
Career Network Ministries Young adults interested can sign up for career assistance – you never know the network your church family might be a able to offer! Sign up by contacting Tracy Ortlieb at firstname.lastname@example.org
Looking for MORE?
Click on your school below, or Google “Wesley Foundation (+name of your school)”! This might be the place to make some new connections…or to have some fun…or to find some good food🙂
If you can’t find your local chapter on-line, just respond to this email and Tracy will help you out.