FUMC Young Adult Connector
Get PLUGGED IN with news about ministries, missions & more.
Graduation Sunday, June 13th, 10:00am, View online from our website or sign up for in-person worship: https://www.signupgenius.com/go/409094dacae2ea1fb6-attend A small gift may be picked up after service for recent college grads, just look for Tracy with the wrapped gifts:)
NOAH Lunch Packing, Monday June 14th, 7-8pm, Fellowship Hall
Please join us for this young adult outreach opportunity to provide 300 lunches to those in Detroit experiencing homelessness. We make the sandwiches and enjoy fun and fellowship in the process. Masks will be worn and social distancing practiced. Email Tracy to sign up: firstname.lastname@example.org Participants are invited to head into town for a game of GAGA ball or socializing after the outreach event.
Huron River 365 GIVE, June 23, 4:00pm -7:00pm – See below in missions for details on this canoe trip!
PUB THEOLOGY, Tuesday, July 6, 7:30-8:30pm Northville Town Square (on Main St, by the clock)*
We meet on the first Tuesday of the month! – People have been gathering in pubs and public spaces for ages, talking about life, philosophy, faith, and deep questions of meaning. The format is simple: beverages, conversation, and God. You’ll be able to share your own wrestlings and thoughts while learning something new along the way! BYO: Refreshments (Some chairs available, refreshments can be purchased/carried from local restaurants) Questions or to sign up; email@example.com *For sever weather we meet on zoom.
Mission Quest 2021 NEEDS Young Adult support!
Join us for a season of LIVING WATERS – Plans are underway to offer our youth opportunities to serve in our community and beyond this summer. Adults and young adults are invited to help make this a fun and rewarding experience, that is also Covid-19 safe.
Info Meeting will be held Sunday, May 23rd, (tentative) time and location TBD – you will learn what is required to participate and what each opportunity to serve will be like.
- June 23, 4:00pm -7:00pm – Huron River 365 GIVE – For general information visit:365 River Clean- Volunteer Guide(cost $10/participant or $20/Canoe), you provide your own transportation, for ages 16 and above or ask Tracy about shorter 1.5hr trip for youngers or novice paddlers.) To sign-up and reserve a canoe spot, email firstname.lastname@example.org BY JUNE13 with names of participants for 365 GIVE. Additional funds raised will support our LivingWaters summer mission partners.
- July 15-17 –Motown Mission drop-in days– Cost expected to be about $50/day per young adult participant. Generally, we meet in Detroit in the morning and return by 4:30pm. To sign up now: https://www.signupgenius.com/go/20F084CAAA92BA4FA7-motown1
- August 18-22 – God’s Country Cooperative Parish (Tentative) – Upper Peninsula Covid-19 safe travel mission trip with a variety of projects in the community! You provide your own transportation, limited dorm lodging accommodations are available or you can arrange other area lodging. GCCP provides a kitchen for the group to provide our own meals. Expected cost is $300. This trip includes youth with a guardian/parent. Young Adults – this is a great chance to serve and/or be a mentor! GCCP trip Sign-up HAS BEGUN please text Tracy now if you think you may be able to participate 248-982-0513.
Saturday in the D . Volunteer with our church to be in service in Detroit with partner organizations (Cass Social Svc, Brightmore, Motown, Noah, Rippling Hope, etc)! Social distancing will be practiced. Typical events run from 9am to 2pm.You can even sign up for just a couple hours… Email: email@example.com or text/call: 734-718-2183 for info or to sign up! Next event; June 19th-
Young Adult Small Study Group
Small can be good! If you are interested in spiritual growth via a committed small* study group, this is for you! Contact firstname.lastname@example.org to express interest. We will select dates and times depending on our signups and specific study interests (Bible/Social Justice/Personal growth/etc).
*What will be small about it? – commitments to prepare will be minimal (possible short readings) – group size – duration of study to be limited
Fall Study: Finding our Faith takes a look at seeking God in art and the everyday secular world, creating practices that make us more likely to stay connected with God. We will explore music, paintings, books, movies and more! Contact Tracy for times/locations email@example.com.
Career Network Ministries Young adults interested can sign up for career assistance – you never know the network your church family might be a able to offer! Sign up by contacting Tracy Ortlieb at firstname.lastname@example.org
UMC Internship/Mission Opportunities
1. Global Mission Fellows are young adults, ages 20–30, who are committed to work in social justice ministries for two years. They serve outside of their home communities, either in the United States or overseas. This graduate-level fellowship allows… for more info, visit Global MIssion Fellows
2. Mission Intern Program: For young adults post high school. An 8-week summer program at United Methodist congregations and related non-profits across Michigan. The goal is to develop young adult leaders, through an on-boarding training and ongoing site supervision. The program also assists United Methodist congregations to be in ministry with their local communities, and answer the challenge of the Bishops’ Initiative on Children and Poverty. Interns at congregations will lead summer children’s programs or serve at Cass Community Social Services or God’s Country Cooperative Parish. At Cass Services in Detroit, interns will work with volunteer teams and organizing field trips for children living at Cass’s residences. At God’s Country Cooperative Parish in Newberry, interns coordinate volunteer teams providing home repair for local residents and lead a two-week swim class for area children. For an application, visit: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSdjHgXMTU3UQ93xzKgwUDf3HFpXFYy7wTe2zmyzzJHZGFBP6g/viewform?vc=0&c=0&w=1&flr=0
3. Young Adult Initiatives, Michigan Conference: Have a “seed” of an idea for missional ministry for your community? Seed to Harvest is a program of the Michigan Conference of the UMC that supports young adult leaders in bringing their ministry ideas to fruition. The program offers support in the form of monthly one-on-one coaching and group support with… VISIT WEB INFO
Other Ongoing ministry events
YOUNG ADULT FAITH JOURNEY (age 18+)
Sometimes, stepping out and trying something new can really allow us to grow…spiritually or in relationship with others, it is all good! Join us on any of the multiple opportunities throughout the year, you are sure to find one that works for you. Friends age 18 and over are invited too! -To sign up for future events, contact Tracy Ortlieb: email@example.com.
MUSIC MINISTRY OPPORTUNITIES
While we can’t meet in person to sing, there are lots of opportunities to help with the music ministry of our church! Please contact Annie at firstname.lastname@example.org to get all the details and join in the virtual fun!
YOUNG ADULT 3rd TUESDAYS IN TOWN (age 18+) We extended outside of summer months for the 2020 Pandemic
Third Tuesdays we will meet at a fun gathering location offering an opportunity to enjoy refreshments and discuss theology! What a great way to spend an evening! Likely in March, we will again meet at Northville Town Square outside seating or at another local pub – check back for details! Contact email@example.com for more information.
Looking for MORE?
Click on your school below, or Google “Wesley Foundation (+name of your school)”! This might be the place to make some new connections…or to have some fun…or to find some good food🙂
If you can’t find your local chapter on-line, just respond to this email and Tracy will help you out.