FUMC Young Adult Connector
Get PLUGGED IN with news about ministries, missions & more.
PUB THEOLOGY, Tuesday, Sept 7, 7:30-8:30pm Northville Town Square (on Main St, by the clock)*
We meet on the first Tuesday of the month! – People have been gathering in pubs and public spaces for ages, talking about life, philosophy, faith, and deep questions of meaning. The format is simple: beverages, conversation, and God. You’ll be able to share your own wrestlings and thoughts while learning something new along the way! BYO: Refreshments (Some chairs available, refreshments can be purchased/carried from local restaurants) Questions or to sign up for *Rain updates; email@example.com
COLLEGE CONNECT, NOW needs your updated addresses and contact info! Covid-19 may continue to impact plans, but we still need to know how to connect with you and let you know we are with you – whatever this fall brings! Please send your school name, mailing address and cell number to firstname.lastname@example.org
YOUNG ADULT 3rd TUESDAYS IN TOWN, Tues, Sept 21 (age 18+) We meet from 7-8pm in downtown Northville, and rotate locations. Fellowship and fun discussion topics will make this a great opportunity to connect with God and community. Contact email@example.com for more information, or to sign up – this allows us to fill you in if the plan/location changes for weather, etc.
BOOK STUDY – How to Fight Racism, by Jemar Tisby, starts Wed. September 29, 4:30-6:00pm, Join us for a multi-generation study that looks at this handbook for pursuing racial justice with suggestions bolstered by real-world examples of change. Learn how to confront racism through a simple
framework – the A.R.C. of Racial Justice. This study is for anyone who believes it is time to stop compromising with racism and courageously confront it.
Interested? Email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 248-349-1144.
3 Cedars Farm, Oct 24, 2-5pm, Save the date for this ALL church outing with cider, donuts, & hay rides! Cost expected to be $5/each, More Details TBA.
FAITH JOURNEY; Sunday, Oct 31, Young Adult Spooktacular, 6pm– connect with the community and join the Ortliebs as they celebrate Halloween (outdoors) with the City of Northville and all the guests they draw! Please rsvp to Tracy if you plan to attend, email@example.com. Current social distancing will be practiced.
Mission Quest 2021 NEEDS Young Adult support!
Join us for a season of LIVING WATERS – 3 summer mission opportunities
– August 18-22 – God’s Country Cooperative Parish – Upper Peninsula multi-gen travel mission trip! We can’t wait to hit the road!
– Post event update: July 15-17 – Motown Mission drop-in days: We had three great days of projects, Detroit connections, relationships, sun, heat, dirt, bugs, rain, and more flooding! They were productive days full of great memories. Big thanks to all who gave their time and talents to make it happen!
– Post event update: June 23, 4:00– Huron River 365 GIVE – What a great Canoe and clean-up effort! The FUMC team cleaned 130lbs of trash from the river and shore line (setting a new record for our partners), and connected with nature and each other!
Saturday in the D . Volunteer with our church to be in service in Detroit with partner organizations (Cass Social Svc, Brightmore, Motown, Noah, Rippling Hope, etc)! Social distancing will be practiced. Typical events run from 9am to 2pm.You can even sign up for just a couple hours… Email: firstname.lastname@example.org or text/call: 734-718-2183 for info or to sign up! Next event; Aug 21(tentative)
Young Adult Small Study Group
Small can be good! If you are interested in spiritual growth via a committed small* study group, this is for you! Contact email@example.com to express interest. We will select dates and times depending on our signups and specific study interests (Bible/Social Justice/Personal growth/etc).
*What will be small about it? – commitments to prepare will be minimal (possible short readings) – group size – duration of study to be limited
Fall Study: Finding our Faith takes a look at seeking God in art and the everyday secular world, creating practices that make us more likely to stay connected with God. We will explore music, paintings, books, movies and more! Contact Tracy for times/locations firstname.lastname@example.org.
Career Network Ministries Young adults interested can sign up for career assistance – you never know the network your church family might be a able to offer! Sign up by contacting Tracy Ortlieb at email@example.com
UMC Internship/Mission Opportunities
1. Global Mission Fellows are young adults, ages 20–30, who are committed to work in social justice ministries for two years. They serve outside of their home communities, either in the United States or overseas. This graduate-level fellowship allows… for more info, visit Global MIssion Fellows
2. Mission Intern Program: For young adults post high school. An 8-week summer program at United Methodist congregations and related non-profits across Michigan. The goal is to develop young adult leaders, through an on-boarding training and ongoing site supervision. The program also assists United Methodist congregations to be in ministry with their local communities, and answer the challenge of the Bishops’ Initiative on Children and Poverty. Interns at congregations will lead summer children’s programs or serve at Cass Community Social Services or God’s Country Cooperative Parish. At Cass Services in Detroit, interns will work with volunteer teams and organizing field trips for children living at Cass’s residences. At God’s Country Cooperative Parish in Newberry, interns coordinate volunteer teams providing home repair for local residents and lead a two-week swim class for area children. For an application, visit: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSdjHgXMTU3UQ93xzKgwUDf3HFpXFYy7wTe2zmyzzJHZGFBP6g/viewform?vc=0&c=0&w=1&flr=0
3. Young Adult Initiatives, Michigan Conference: Have a “seed” of an idea for missional ministry for your community? Seed to Harvest is a program of the Michigan Conference of the UMC that supports young adult leaders in bringing their ministry ideas to fruition. The program offers support in the form of monthly one-on-one coaching and group support with… VISIT WEB INFO
Other Ongoing ministry events
YOUNG ADULT FAITH JOURNEY (age 18+)
Sometimes, stepping out and trying something new can really allow us to grow…spiritually or in relationship with others, it is all good! Join us on any of the multiple opportunities throughout the year, you are sure to find one that works for you. Friends age 18 and over are invited too! -To sign up for future events, contact Tracy Ortlieb: firstname.lastname@example.org.
MUSIC MINISTRY OPPORTUNITIES
While we can’t meet in person to sing, there are lots of opportunities to help with the music ministry of our church! Please contact Annie at email@example.com to get all the details and join in the virtual fun!
YOUNG ADULT 3rd TUESDAYS IN TOWN (age 18+) We extended outside of summer months for the 2020 Pandemic
Third Tuesdays we will meet at a fun gathering location offering an opportunity to enjoy refreshments and discuss theology! What a great way to spend an evening! Likely in March, we will again meet at Northville Town Square outside seating or at another local pub – check back for details! Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
Looking for MORE?
Click on your school below, or Google “Wesley Foundation (+name of your school)”! This might be the place to make some new connections…or to have some fun…or to find some good food🙂
If you can’t find your local chapter on-line, just respond to this email and Tracy will help you out.