For questions or for more current information, contact Tracy Ortlieb at firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you missed our March 13 – 2022 YOUTH MISSION Information meeting – please contact Tracy for additional details, questions or to Sign up NOW! You can express interest in being a leader, mentor or participant in our mission programs- just email email@example.com with names/dates of those who want to participate!
2022 MissionQuest dates Summer (tentative):
Summer 2022 Youth Mission Quest! Multiple opportunities including two events with lodging and “retreat” style experiences to expand your comfort zones and find your HOPE!
- June 21 Paddle with us to do good at the 365 Give Huron River Clean up canoe event in Ann Arbor, 4pm launch time from Argo livery, ends at Gallop and they transport us back to parking. For ages 16+, you provide your own transportation. FREE to participate, we will take donations for local flood recovery efforts. Please signup by June 12.
- July 15-17 Mission Quest trip to Howell Nature Center (Friday morning to Sunday morning and open to those who have completed 6th grade and up.) We will engage in retreat style activities as well as partner in service to support this nature sanctuary in our greater community working to preserve God’s creation. Lodging includes dorms with bunk beds in gender specific spaces. There will be opportunities to see the animals, play in the water, engage in service projects and faith development, play games including gaga ball, and so much more. Pack a lunch for Friday, and all other meals(4) will be provided. Cost is $130.00 and mission credits may be applied to this fee. Drop off and pick up will be at the Howell Nature Center. A packing list and additional details will be provided to those who sign up. For questions or to sign up (by June 26), email firstname.lastname@example.org with names of participants.
- August 3-6 Mission Quest trip to Lake Michigan, Pentwater MI (Wednesday-Saturday, open to those who have completed 6th grade and up) Cost is expected to be $200/per participant and includes meals and lodging in a dorm with bunks. Families/individuals provide their own transportation. We will partner with the Lake Michigan Camp & Retreat center as well as the DNR & Mears State Park for our earth friendly projects. Projects, chores, and preparing meals daily will give us time to build our team and personal skills. We will also enjoy time for spiritual reflection and exploring the Lake Michigan coast! For more Details about this family (or age 18+) trip, or to sign up (by June 26), email email@example.com with names of participants.
Saturday in the D
Family mission opportunity (youth with parent or age 18+): Volunteer with our church to be in service in Detroit with partner organizations (Cass Social Svc, Brightmore, Motown, Noah, Rippling Hope, etc)! Social distancing will be practiced. Typical events run from 9am to 2pm, but you can come for just the morning. To express interest or sign up with parent email firstname.lastname@example.org or text/call: 734-718-2183 – expected 2022 dates: Joy-Southfield is May 14th /other partners: 6/18, 7/16, 8/20, 9/17, 10/15
Prior Summer Mission Trips
2022 Spring Break April 1-3: Youth Mission Quest! THANKS to all who helped over break!
- Friday, April 1: Motown Mission Day, What a fabulous day with Motown Mission, Rippling Hope and the Stopel Block Club and community garden! We met and worked with the lovely residents on their new raised beds for the 2022 growing season!
- Saturday, April 2: Eco Projects of repurposing and reclaiming, assisting our fund raisers!
- Sunday, April 3 Servant Sunday – Cinnamon Rolls & Reclaimed wood art fund raising + College Connect & Civic Concern, Thank you to all! We raised about $300 for youth missions, created 50 College Connect cards and had a great morning of putting our HOPE into action!
2021 – Living Waters
- God’s Country Cooperative Parish – We returned from the Upper Peninsula multi-generational travel MissionQuest trip! Thanks to all who helped make this a possibility and those who participated. Lots of touching moments, sweat, water and laughter made it a trip to remember! Activities included repairs at three homes, delivering food and free appliances to low income families, assisting and sorting in the Church Mouse (local free store), repairs to a local church and the mission center, visiting both upper and lower Tahquamenon Falls, Lake Superior, Whitefish Point and more!
- Huron River 365 GIVE – What a great Canoe and clean-up effort! The FUMC team cleaned 130lbs of trash from the river and shore line (setting a new record for our partners), and connected with nature and each other!
- Motown Mission drop-in days: We had three great days of projects, Detroit connections, relationships, sun, heat, dirt, bugs, rain, and more flooding! They were productive days full of great memories. Big thanks to all who gave their time and talents to make it happen!
2020 (Covid-19 impacted plans):
- Hogar Metodista – Costa Rica: Our international trip and partnership took a change to the plan when Covid-19 impacted the world. Since we had to cancel the trip, we instead supported our partners in Costa Rica by raising funds and sending so that they might still have the monetary support needed to continue their mission.
- Motown Mission: While a week long trip was not possible, Motown was able to create some social distanced safe partner projects for our youth. We spent three drop-in days painting houses, building porch steps, improving and maintaining local gardens and clearing overgrown and debri ridden alleys to improve local safety.
- Howell Nature Center: Partnering with this local refuge, we combined a retreat and service to help us connect with nature and God.
- Greensky Hill Indian Church: A week long travel trip with our partners at Greensky Hill to do much needed work on this historic state site and to help prepare for and implement their annual children’s Heritage Camp.
- Motown Mission: Partnering and lodging for a week with Motown and other Detroit based organizations – working to change the face of blight in our community.