#2 – The Image of God
SCRIPTURE – The what
“And God said, Let us make man in our image, and after our likeness … And God created man in his own image … male and female he created them”
- The significance of the plural pronouns;
In Genesis, you find many instances of the plural pronoun that demonstrates the foreshadowing of the Holy Trinity – God the Father, God the Son, and God the Holy Spirit
- The implication of the “image and likeness” phrase.
God created motivations, passions, pleasures, and thinking power in us that mirror his own. If God made us in his image, why aren’t we all alike then? Think of a painter who sees something amazing and wants to bring out the joy it gives him. So he paints a picture. The substance of the thing isn’t the same, nor is it meant to be a clone. There can only be one original. But every time the subject is painted, new qualities are displayed. God is both the painter and the subject being painted, and we are the painting and every time a new human is born, new qualities of God are displayed very our very unique nature. It is when you look at the children of God as a whole do you come closer to seeing the composition of the whole, God.
APPLICATION – The so what
- They say you can’t understand a man unless you’ve walked a mile in his shoes. By sharing with us his own motivations, his ability to think and reason, his ability to choose for himself, and his ability to be hurt, God has allowed us to walk in his shoes. What a wild, amazing thing.
- Jesus said that when we invite people over for a meal, we should be sure to invite the poor, because they have no way to return the favor (Luke 14:12-14). This is generosity that shows what God is like: giving without any expectation of return. When we take care of someone else, especially someone who is not in a situation to repay our kindness, we are acting like God would act.
- There are distractions in our lives that pull us away from God’s original intent and that is one of the main reasons we study the bible, worship and fellowship together, and pray so that we can return to the path that God has set forth for us.
How can we see and show the Image of God Today through one another?
Dear God, We praise you as creatures made in your image, as good, respectful, loving, beautiful, honorable adults and kids. We look to you right now and thank you for being watching over us and waiting for us to come to you. We thank you for making us your prized creation over and above everything else in this world. We pray today, oh God, that you help us represent you well. Help us to walk in a relationship with you as creatures in your image In Jesus’ name, amen.